Brazil – Floods and landslides have wreaked havoc in the city of Petropolis in the Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro. Due to this, 94 people have died so far. Rio de Janeiro Governor Claudio Castro said the death toll could rise further, as rescue work was still underway. 54 houses were destroyed in this disaster, leaving 400 people homeless. So far 21 people have been rescued, while they search for 35 people is still going on.
Governor Castro said – At present, there is a war-like situation at the site of the landslide. The accident was so terrible that many cars were hanging on the pillars, the area has become swampy with mud and debris. Videos of this accident are also going viral on social media. According to the report of Globo Media, houses have been buried under the soil in many areas, in some places even the team of fire personnel has not reached yet.
the citizen of Petropolis said – We did not imagine this devastation. The authorities have ordered all the people to vacate the area. On Tuesday, Petropolis received more than 10 inches of rain in just 3 hours, compared to the same amount of rain in the last 30 days. More than 180 members of the State Fire Fighters team are engaged in relief work.
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who arrived on a tour of Russia to help the ministers, is constantly taking updates on this accident. He has entrusted his ministers with the responsibility of helping the people. Bolsonaro wrote on social media – I came to know about the Petropolis accident in Moscow. Ministers have been entrusted with the responsibility of helping the victims. I have also spoken to Rio Governor Claudio Castro.
Three days of mourning were declared in Petropolis to express condolences to those killed in the landslide. Governor Castro said that the debris from the landslide came on the roads, due to which relief work is facing difficulties. The 2011 landslide in this area also killed more than 900 people.